Friday 29 June 2012

Calendar - Thing 8


Google Calendars

We already use Outlook Exchange calendars at work, and all in the department can view each other's calendars. It's fantastic for arranging meetings as you can check the best times for each attendee. We use calendar invitations to schedule one-off meetings and also to enter regular meetings in staff calendars. We've got extra exchange calendars set up for leave and for various rotas such as desk rotas. All this is integrated with personal calendars so it's easy to see what's on. I can also view my calendar on my mobile phone which is a huge benefit, and access and use it over the web.

I love the reminders and also often put tasks in so I use it for time management as well. What isn't so great is the reminders that I constantly get telling me that a task is now a number of hours overdue - either I'm inefficient or hoplessly optimistic about what I can get done in a set amount of time.

We all have to be careful about the information on display in our calendars. Anything confidential or relating to a person needs to be made private or worded in a way that the person or subject is unindentifiable.

We also use sharepoint calendars to book rooms and cars – again everyone has access and can see at a glance when a meeting room is available. It's quick and easy to use - which is not something I often say about Sharepoint!

What this means is that as an individual I don't see a need for google calendars specifically, but am absolutely sold on the idea of shared calendars.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Nia
    Totally agree with on shared calendars - we use Outlook in work too, but not Exchange (what's that?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nia, Apparently Exchange is behind Outlook and could possibly be synced to Google so one calendar could be seen in both. Still doesn't make me want to use Google calendar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or is it just that the corporate system has got its claws into us so deep we feel we have no other choice?! Our webmail is a truly terrible interface (plain text emails - no HTML etc.) and the calendar super-clunky to view online.... but everyone is using it and once you see the wonder of shared calendars, it's no contest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's possible Sam, and also does this then just widen the gap between our experience and that of our customers who probably are using Google calendars and/or others. A quick search on "free online calendars" brings up products that I've never heard of, and I'm very tempted to look closer at cozi - http://www.cozi.com/, but do I need yet another calendar?

    ReplyDelete